Saturday 29 December 2012

Where do ideas come from?



 Like every writer, I'm always being asked where my ideas come from.

 It's a fair question because a work of art can seem miraculous, even a bit god-like (though not, unfortunately,  to those who know me).

 But a work of art isn’t a miracle. It doesn’t work like that. Not for me, anyway. It’s more like building bridges.

 These bridges are important in SONG HUNTER.

 In the book my heroine Mica finds out how to make bridges, and they lead her to a new world of her own creation.

 But would you trust your weight to a bridge made by a teenage girl? Especially if it seems to be made out of nothing but discontent and mist?

 Mica’s family are frightened and threatened and do what they can to put a stop to Mica’s new ideas.

 But once Mica has discovered those bridges then she can no longer bear to stay on the safe side, even though they stretch out across chasms of danger...

2 comments:

  1. I think this is very clever. Writing, certainly, is like building a bridge in many ways. Will the whole idea stretch across the chasm of pages or will you have to add other ideas, to kind of strengthen it? The Bridge Building metaphor is one we ought to tease out a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you appreciate my courage and honesty in 'fessing up about the god-like thing!

    ReplyDelete